Imagine a setting where kids are challenged to solve a problem like launching a water rocket or making a bridge or a paper tower. Instead of a teacher, you see a mentor working with those kids, helping them use different tools and materials to help them materialize their ideas.
As a Maker Mentor, you can help enhance the learning experiences of young students (between ages of 8 – 14) using technology, art, and making. We aim to create an increased interest in education among youths through introduction to ideas of progressive education. It is an opportunity to engage and nurture young minds through hands-on fun practical activities. While stimulating the growth of these young kids, this program also allows you to harness your skills and abilities. This experience gaining platform provides much more opportunities besides mentor ship such as being involved in operations and administrative works. The program begins with a free design challenge.
If you are selected from the design challenge, there will be an interview. The interview will be to get to know about you and your interests better. Once you’re selected, you will then be invited to a two-day Making Maker Mentor Workshop at Karkhana.
During this program, based on your interests, you will be mentored by Karkhana team members. As a Maker Mentor, you will also have access to Karkhana’s network of cool hackers, makers, designers, artists, and engineers.
Please fill this application form.
- Facilitate fun, hands-on, practical activities for 8-14 year-old students
- Facilitate sessions based on your interest to the fellow Maker Mentees/Mentors and the Karkhana team members
- Collaborate with Karkhana teachers and fellow Maker Mentors to run engaging events such as design challenges and represent Karkhana at different events
- Collaborate with Karkhana teachers to generate creative, educational content
- Be engaged in various departments at Karkhana which includes operations, finances and relationship management
- Support in event documentation through photos, videos, and stories
- Openness to new ideas and learning new things.
- Openness to the experience of meeting new people and sharing ideas
- Curiosity and commitment to developing personal and professional skills
- Availability to work during designated program hours
- Age: 18 to 26
- A creative, supportive environment to explore one’s creative interests alongside students, fellow Maker Mentors and Karkhana teachers
- Opportunity to help young people build 21st-century skills and confidence
- Supervised access to and also a chance to learn high-tech machinery, tools, and toys such as laser cutters, 3D printers, Arduino, Snap circuits, Makey Makey and much more.
- Opportunity to attend different sessions and workshops (eg. Talking to Satellites, Creative Computing, etc.)
- A space for personal and professional development through exposure to an open working environment
- Maker Mentor Graduation Award (yayyyy! :D)
- Fill up the form before the deadline (January 31, 2018)
- Attend the Design Challenge after initial screening.
- Attend the interview session with Karkhana team members.
- Attend the Making Maker Mentor workshop after final selection.
*Note: Maker Mentor program is free. However, the selected applicants should be able to pay NRs. 1100 for a two-day Making Maker Mentor Workshop (inclusive of lunch and snacks) after being selected in the interview.
**If you are not able to pay this amount, there is a provision for a subsidized rate for a selected few.
Want more information? FAQs