Imagine a setting where kids are challenged to solve a problem like launching a water rocket or making a bridge or a paper tower. Instead of a teacher, you see a mentor working with those kids, helping them use different tools and materials to help them materialize their ideas.
As a Maker Mentor, you can help enhance the learning experiences of young students (between ages of 8 – 14) using technology, art, and making. It is an opportunity to engage and nurture young minds through hands-on fun practical activities. The program begins with a free design challenge on July 8, 2017
If you are selected, you will get an opportunity to enroll in the Maker Mentor Program that lasts for 6 months. After being selected from the design challenge, you will be invited to a two-day Making Maker Mentor Workshop at Karkhana on July 15 & 16, 2017.
During this program, based on your interest you will be mentored by Karkhana team members. As a Maker Mentor, you will also have access to Karkhana network of cool hackers, makers, designers, artists, and engineers.
Please fill this application form.
- Facilitate fun, hands-on, practical activities for 8-14 year-old students
- Facilitate sessions based on your interest to the fellow Maker Mentees/Mentors and the Karkhana team
- Collaborate with Karkhana teachers and fellow Maker Mentors to run engaging events such as design challenges and represent Karkhana at different events
- Collaborate with Karkhana teachers to generate creative, hands-on activities to engage the middle school students
- Support in event documentation through photos, videos, and stories
- Openness to new ideas and learning new things.
- Openness to the experience of meeting new people and sharing ideas
- Curiosity and commitment to developing personal and professional skills
- Availability to work during designated program hours
- Age: 18 to 26
- A creative, supportive environment to explore one’s creative interests alongside students, fellow Maker Mentors and Karkhana teachers
- Opportunity to help young people build 21st-century skills and confidence
- Supervised access to and also a chance to learn high-tech machinery, tools, and toys such as laser cutters, 3D printers, Arduino, Snap circuits, Makey Makey and much more.
- Opportunity to attend different sessions and workshops (eg. Talking to Satellites, Creative Computing, etc.)
- Maker Mentor Graduation Award (yayyyy! :D)
- Fill up the form before the deadline (July 2, 2017).
- Attend the Design Challenge after initial screening.
- Attend the Making Maker Mentor workshop after final selection.
*Note: Maker Mentor program is free. However, the selected applicants should be able to pay NRs. 1100 for a two-day Making Maker Mentor Workshop (inclusive of lunch and snacks) after being selected in the design challenge.
**If you are not able to pay this amount, there is a provision for a subsidised rate for a selected few.
Want more information? FAQs