Let’s Make Popsicle Harmonica!
Making a Popsicle Harmonica is a fun craft project and an educational experiement that can be done at home. So let us begin and make this homestay fun and productive.
- Popsicle Stick
- A small piece of paper
- Masking Tape
What to do next?
You can follow these simple steps to make your popsicle harmonica:
Cut a small strip of paper that fits well in the popsicle stick.
Place two straw pieces on the popsicle stick. Make sure the straws are a little away from the ends.
Place another popsicle stick over the previous setup.
Fix the end of popsicle sticks using masking tape. Play your harmonica. ♫♬🎵
- Did your harmonica work? What might be the reasons of not working? Try and improve the setup.
- What is the Science behind this harmonica?
- Why does a paper strip need to be placed in the middle? Can you use other materials like a plastic?
- What happens when you move the straws?
- Can you change the tone by blowing harder or softer?
- Does the shape of your mouth affect the tone?
- Try adding more straw pieces in between and observe the difference.
NOW TIME FOR SOME SCIENCE
When you hit any object(a metal bar, plastic bottle, wooden block, water surface) it creates a sound. This is because the energy you applied to hit the object creates a vibration. This vibrating object causes the medium(air, water, etc.) around it to vibrate along with the object, resulting the sound you hear.
Similarly, the sound made by your instrument is actually the sound created by the paper strip vibrating as you blow through it.